Sunday, January 01, 2012

The Thing About Goals

It started a few years ago when I realized that I rarely read books and I set a goal to read some.
And I couldn't quit.
Year after year I've been posting goals on my side bar with surprising good results (or at least surprisingly good justifications). 
Publicly setting and reporting on my goals has been one of the single best things I've done each year.

So here is my final report for the goals of 2011.

1. Do 9 homework lessons.  Yeah!  I did it!  Not only did I finish the 9 remaining lesson, I started over again and did one additional lesson.

2.  Read 12 sessions of General Conference. I just finished last week reading the last article for my General Conference goal.  It has been incredible and enriching.  I need something different for this new year, but I commit to keep my GC reading up.

3. Make 18 Temple Trips.   I made 21 temple trips in 2011 including one on Dec 31st that got me home 4 hours after I left.  (Note to self:  Don't go to the temple the last day of the year next year...)

4. Lose 12.4 lbs.  I wish I had a good justification for this one.  My original goal was to lose more than 30 lbs this year.  Instead I've gain 20.  Sigh.  Apparently tracking this one on-line is not helpful.

5. Read more of the Book of Mormon.  I started last year on page 158 and I'm ending on 284.  That's similar to the year before when I began on page 30 and ended on page 158.  Seriously.  128 pages in 2010 and 126 pages in 2011.  That's about as close as I can get.  I have accomplished my lame but completely achievable goal of just "reading more."  (This still makes me smile.)

I don't know yet what my goals for 2012 will entail, but I'm very happy about what I accomplished in 2011.  Very.

No comments: