Monday, October 08, 2012

Am I a Writer Now?

I started blogging, more than six years ago, in June 2006.  At the time, I'd just shut down a failed small business and I had a 3-month-old baby girl.  I don't know that I really began blogging with any specific expectation other than to connect--to not feel alone.

There were times I thought that, maybe, I could make it big time.  You know become a well read blogger, like her or her or her.  Ultimately, I realized that it wasn't to be.  And that was OK, too.

But today, I am proud to announce that I am officially a paid blogger!  (See that exclamation point?  I'm really excited!) Of course, I'm not getting paid to write this blog, though it's earned me a product every now and then.  Nevertheless, all of my working and striving and practicing have amounted to something.

A business, Ken Garff Honda of Orem (where my husband happens to be the internet manager), has hired me to write their blog and manage their Facebook page.

A friend teased me that she knows how I got the job.  *Smirk*  While those rumors are true, I believe I was hired on my merits as a writer.  I put together a few blog posts, test drove a sweet car and let my husband's bosses see what they thought of my work.

They loved it.  Right off the bat.  It took very little discussion to offer to pay me for what I do best.  And, as all bloggers know, I get to do it from the comfort of my own home.

So, from now on when someone asks me what I do for a living, I'm going to say that, in addition to being an A+ stay-at-home mom, that I am also a writer.  And I'm terribly excited to see where I might be able to go with it.

Thanks so much to Carlos, Tyler and especially my husband, Wendell, for giving me this amazing opportunity.

3 comments:

mom101 said...

Congratulations Jenna! You were a writer before. Now you're a paid writer. Whoo!

Unknown said...

So happy for you.

I was a paid blogger/social media expert for a while. It became too much to try and do EVERY day. Don't even attempt an every day thing or you will be so done after about 2 months.

You are my idol. :)

Jenna Wood said...

Liz, I feel incredibly honored that YOU read MY blog. (Blushing with excitement.) Thank you so much for the encouragement.

Alice,
I wondered how that was working out for you. They want two bog posts a week and a FB post every business day. Right now, it seems doable.
And you are my idol. You do what I do, only better. :)