Friday, February 17, 2012

Why I Have a Problem

I  haven't been posting about my organizing experiences.  This is partly because I'm so busy organizing I hardly have time to post.  The other part is because it's not at all what I expected it to be.

See, I thought in 3-4 three-hour sessions I'd have three areas of my house completely organized.  This could happen in 2-3 weeks and wa-la!  I'm organized.  Naturally it hasn't gone like that AT ALL.  

This organizing stuff takes a lot more time than I thought, even when you have hired professional help.  The other thing is, I think my house is in...um...a larger disarray than most.

I'm fearful of getting rid of stuff because, you know, what if I need it?

Thus it's taken me A LONG TIME to sort through everything, because I have to get rid of A LOT of stuff.  A LOT.

To give you an idea, I'll show you my next project--socks.  V has asked me to get every sock in the house clean.  Just the socks, then match them all and throw away all non-matches.  Sounds easy enough, right?  I've been working on getting all of the socks clean for 6 days now.  

And I have this box.


Plus this bin.


Plus this laundry basket of dirty socks. 


For 7 of us.  Scroll up and down a bit. 
Take it in.  
A fruit box, plus a three-quarters full 42 qt bin AND a half-full laundry basket. 
For 7 people.

And that's just one type of clothing.  Imagine the other clothes, papers, etc.  Organizing my house is definitely not a small project.

After throwing away all non-matches, socks with holes or especially thin socks, we have as a family approximately 150 pairs of matched socks.  Emma scores the fewest with only 15 pairs of socks and Wendell the most keeping 38 pairs.  Can you guess who does the most shopping for socks in our family?  

2 comments:

Kari said...

There is a huge part of me what wants to come and do it for/with you. That is how much I like laundry. Plus, then I won't have to look at my own piles. Like that box of papers I REALLY need to tackle. Maybe we can swap?

Jody said...

I so totally feel and understand your pain.