Sunday, January 13, 2008

Get the Biggest Rock

We had Stake Conference yesterday and today and at the Saturday session my stake president* told this story:

There was a man who was a missionary in Africa. Where he was serving there were lots of rivers with swift currents, but very few bridges. The people there taught him the safest way to cross the river.

First, you get the biggest rock you can; the bigger, the better. Then you heft the rock onto your shoulder. Then you can wade out into the river. When the currents are swiftest, the weight of the rock will keep you grounded and stop you from being swept down stream.

Pres. Stoddard concluded with this, "We need the weight of responsibility to keep ourselves from being swept away in the current life."

Doesn't this have so many applications? I thought especially of giving our kids enough responsibility. Even if the responsibility we give them feels weighty, it just means that the kids will be less likely to be swept into the current of what's popular rather than what's right.

(*Mormon 101: A bishop is in charge of a ward this is equal to a pastor or reverend being in charge of a congregation. A stake president is in charge of many wards--in my stake that's 13 wards/branches.)

6 comments:

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

That's a great lesson. So often we think of responsibility as some big burden, but in reality it's a blessing. I love this analogy. Thanks for sharing it today.

*Tanyetta* said...

I really LOVE this story. Very Very interesting.

I like the explanation at the bottom. You know I' always asking questions :)

ks said...

I really like the story about crossing a river... have felt that being a parent has increased my desire to be a good mom. A mother who knows. :) I love stake conference.. they always have such inspiring topics. Did they particularly talk about us giving our kids responsibilities or was is geared toward parents? Thanks for sharing.

Jenna Wood said...

hayngrl101: Stake Conference was totally geared toward parents.

But it wasn't how my mind interpreted it, maybe that's just my own personal inspiration that I need to give my kids more responsibility.

The cool thing about this story is it's many possible interpretations and applications.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

What an interesting metaphor. It really goes along with what Pres. Hinkley says about new members needing 3 things, one of which being a responsibility.

Laurie said...

I love this story. My middle school kids are really being exposed to so much garbage at school this year and honestly it scares me to death. I am going to really ponder this and apply it to our lives. Thanks so much for sharing. I'm so glad that you are my friend, Jenna! I just love reading your thoughts.