Wednesday, December 26, 2007

No One Should Complain About Christmas

Merry Christmas! Lest you think by the title that I'm all full of complaints...I'm not. Christmas was lovely. I got wonderful gifts, my children seemed happy and we were so exhausted by the end of the day that we fell into bed and slept long and well.

But I do have a complaint. Or two. Or three.

First, what I got Wendell vs. what Wendell got me. We each got each other 4 gifts: two that were requested and two surprises. We didn't plan this, by the way, it's just the way it happened.

Requested items:

Wendell got me a bike helmet. I got Wendell a pair of jeans. (Jeans side story: we were in Costco doing other stuff completely when Wendell spotted jeans he liked. "I'll get them," I said, "as long as you don't wear them until Christmas." I picked out none of my own gifts.)

Wendell got me a frying pan set with 3 pans. I got Wendell a wallet. He's fussy about his wallets, so I took him shopping with me and he picked it.

Surprise items:

Wendell got me an ipod radio. I got Wendell a multi-card reader for the computer. This would have been a great gift, but unfortunately, just days before Christmas, Wendell bought himself a multi-card reader. It was better, faster and cheaper than mine. I'm trying to remember if I found out about it on Sat. or Sun., but it was too late for me to return it and get something else.

Wendell got me a digital camera. I got Wendell a beef stick. And so did his parents. Now we have two giant $15 beef sticks sitting around our house. Yea.

Can you see how lopsided this was? It was awful.

9 comments:

D-dawg said...

The beef stick part is funny! I'm sorry. It does seem a little lopsided but you got the good side of it at least! Don't worry though, I'm sure he felt great that he did so well for you! And husbands are hard to buy for especially when they buy what they want for themselves!

Holly (2 Kids and Tired) said...

I'm sure he didn't think it was lopsided. My husband gave me a digital camera and I gave him a mitten ice scraper for his car...

ks said...

That is VERY funny! As I sat here chuckling over your post, my husband asked what I was laughing at and I relayed your story. He thought it was TERRIBLE that you were given such great gifts and Wendell got... well, a beef stick. You just gave me a great leader in on my own lesson:

What he got for Christmas and his bday (which is today), 47 inch LCD flat panel tv...

What I got for Christmas: nothing...

Lesson Learned (maybe): priceless...

*Tanyetta* said...

Well, Holly has us all beat so let's just sit back and wipe our foreheads with relief :) just kidding. I LOVE this story. I'm sure wendell's just happy to be with his family. The beef stick story---priceless.

Jennifer @ Fruit of My Hands said...

LOL! I'm sorry. Ours was a little skewed too, and my DH was being too nice to admit it, but I finally convinced him I'm right. I'll be a better shopper next year.

Sounds like you had a nice Christmas!

Lara said...

Ha ha! This was so funny - and I totally feel for you! This is how it turns out for us every Christmas. I always stick to the limit we set, and J always goes way above and beyond, thus making me feel horrible! This was our first year not getting eachother anything. Not even stocking candy. It turned out really nice, actually. We just slept in, woke up, drove to my moms, and spent family time. We loved it. ANYWAY... enough about me!!!! MERRY CHRISTMAS TO YOU AND YOUR CUTE FAM!! Happy New Year as well - and cuddle your little one for me. :)

Lara

Anonymous said...

I also laughed out loud at the beef stick part!

I just stumbled across your blog and want to ask how you do it with five kids?!! I think it is great,I've always wanted a large family. (although I have grown almost completely gray just because of my two kids!)

Your new little boy is adorable!

:) Lisa

Livvy's Mom said...

Jenna I feel the same way. Glen fixed my wedding ring. And then bought me a really nice digtal camera. I got him a 40$ comforter for OUR bed. Glad I am not the only one.

Jenna Wood said...

Thanks everyone for your Christmas confessions! I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one with this problem.